Aug 20, 2011

West Memphis Three are FREE!!

While on our aquarium adventure yesterday, I received a text from a friend telling me the WM3 were freed via a special plea deal.  I couldn't believe it, this was the best news I'd heard all day, aside from escaping the elevator of course.  Some of you may remember my blog post back in May detailing the case for these three men (Injustice). 

Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr and Jason Baldwin were freed under an Alford Plea, meaning they can maintain their innocence, but plead guilty w/ time served.  It's not 100% justice, certainly not for the families who lost their young boys and the fact that this will remain on their record, but it's better than spending more time in prison for a crime they didn't commit.  Especially for Damien who was on death row. 

Good things certainly do come to those who wait.  I am ecstatic that they are freed and I hope this proves a point to those involved, those in our justice system and to society, period.  Swift justice, isn't justice and to convict people of a crime that in NO WAY connects them is travesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment