Jul 24, 2010

Migraines

For at least 4-5yrs now I've been a migraine sufferer. Both my mom and younger brother suffer from them too. I've discovered mine are generally episodic migraines (occuring once or twice a month). After paying attention to their frequency, I discovered that mine are menstrual migraines...yea thanks so much mother nature. Most doctors will tell you to take the prescription at the first sign of a migraine - because normal people will get an aura, blurred vision, floaters..the list goes on, when they know a migraine is coming. Other than knowing when to expect my period - - I never know it's going to hit until it hits, or maybe I haven't familiarized myself with the symptoms?!? I always try to use tylenol or advil like with any normal ache or pain and after 1 dose if there's no difference I know I'm in for a ride. I guess I should start automatically taking a migraine pill the day before I remove my Nuvaring so my body can be prepared for the dip in hormones?!?



I just did some research online and found this interesting fact:

After puberty, migraines affect women three times more often than men. Hormones – especially estrogen – appear to have important effects on migraine activity. About 60% of women who have migraine experience attacks before or during their menstrual period, although only about 10% to 15% will have migraine only when they have their menstrual period. The majority of women will have migraine at other times of their cycle but will experience attacks of greater severity one to two days before or during their menstrual period.

I've been using Maxalt (rizatriptan) for the treatment of my migraines for almost 2yrs now and on occasion back it up with phenergan as I tend to experience nausea with most attacks. It's really really painful when one hits, I always have sensitivity to sound, light is usually tolerable if it's not an advanced migraine but moving around is usually painful too (It seems with every step I take the throbbing in my head worsens). There have been a few times when I haven't had my prescription filled (because it's $35.00 for 9 pills....yea ONLY 9 PILLS!!!) and have just endured the pain as best I could without stabbing myself in the head. I hope that one day I will out-grow these, if possible...before menopause since they appear to be episodic to my 'flow'.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,
    I just stumbled across your blog from a friend's blog. I, too, have suffered from migraines since I was a young teen. I, too, am also a Jones! I have had incredible success with an all natural product called Juice Plus. It is not a drug at all. It is actually a whole food supplement, but in the last year, since I have been on it, I have gone from having 3 a week to a total of 2 in the last year. You can't buy it in the store as it is sold through distributors, but if you are interested, I can get you in touch with someone. www.juiceplus.com if you want to read up on it.
    Tanya Jones
    www.twjonesfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete