Jul 9, 2010

Cleaning house for dummies

When Hardy and I first moved into our 1 bedroom apartment in Gainesville I thought for sure it would be a breeze to keep clean because it was SO SMALL. But we quickly learned that instead of it being an easy clean.....it ended up becoming a cluttered little space.


When we moved out last year I was so shocked at how much junk we had managed to pack into 635sqft and how much dust/cat hair was scattered throughout. It was embarassing - - every thing was always kept clean surface wise but it never occured to me that I had never really done a thorough ceiling to floor cleaning the entire time we lived there (2.5yrs). I have a dear friend, Tabitha, offered to help me do the 'final clean' and she was such a sport (especially since she's allergic to cats) so although there weren't cats present while we cleaned there was enough hair to be an allergy problem. It took us almost 3hrs to clean the place and unfortunately for me my vaccums aren't the best in the business lol so there was still some hair (cat hair and mine ha ha ha) in certain areas. Luckily it was clean enough though the apartment complex did not charge me a terrible cleaning fee, I got most of my original deposit back.

Now it's almost been 1yr that we've lived in our new home in Flowery Branch and we just can't get our crap straight. We made a deal about 6mos into living there that Hardy was responsible for the downstairs and I was responsible for the upstairs. Still of course, because I inherited some OCD from my mom, I always seem to tidy up something 'downstairs'. We try to keep the dining room table pre-set so we're not likely to pile mail/misc things on it but it still happens, the bar in the kitchen always seems to be the resting place for Hardy's cds that he listens to throughout the week. It's like as soon as we catch up, we've made yet another mess. I guess we need to make a schedule and do certain things every day or every other day of the week so that we're not constantly trying to play catch up on the weekends. 1st on the list should be a new vaccum too so that you can actually tell a difference when we vaccum the floor - as opposed to now when the vaccum leaves spots of hair here and there (I'm beginning to dislike carpet).

If anyone has some tips - I am all ears.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard to do one thing each day of the week (like every mon do toliets etc). To minimize clutter you could get Hardy a box as a gift (I got Zach a nice wooden one we keep in our bathroom for him to stash his phone, keys, and other random things). I typically only clean when we have company SO for me to keep things clean I try to invite someone over at least once a week haha!

    ReplyDelete