Jan 7, 2015


I’ve posted before about Persephone’s battle with ear infections…ever since she started daycare she’s caught every bug.  You would think six months in - her immune system wouldn’t be “the new guy” anymore.  Since May her pediatrician has calculated that she’s had about 7 ear infections.  From May-July it was pretty bad…we’ve tried so many oral antibiotics (Amoxicillin, Augmentin, Cednifir, Cefprozil…etc) they just don't cut it.  Finally in July we allowed the doctor to administer Rocephin which is a high dose antibiotic given as a shot.   

That thing is M E A N let me tell you. 
The needle they have to use is bigger because the medicine is thick and it hurts. Luckily she still has a little meat in her legs so there’s a little cushion.

In July we had to go every 2 days to get the shot, for a total of 3.  The experience was bad, because you have to hold her down and there's nothing you can do.  But it did make her feel WORLDS better and cleared up the ear infection as we wanted it too.  It gave her horrible diarrhea, but it never had a smell so if that’s the only side effect, I’m happy.

Fast forward to November, we began to notice a runny nose and the pink/purple under her eyes.  My mother in law took her in and sure enough, ear infection.  They gave her Amoxicillin, we finished it and all appeared to be ok.  Three weeks later, her nose is running again, now she’s developed a cough…I took her in on 12/22/14, another (or maybe the same) ear infection.  This time we try Cefprozil – pure torture.   

Hardy is a good Daddy and he tries every medicine she’s ever had to take….he admitted this one was nasty.  Despite it having the “pink” bubble gum flavor, Persephone would.not.take.it.  Friday 12/26/14 I called and was able to get her a new medicine, Cednifir.  It smelled like buttered popcorn, but had a better flavor.  She took it for 10 days, but still had a cough and a nasty runny nose.

Now lets go to Monday 1/5/15, my mother in law took her back for her follow up appointment and the ear infection had actually gotten worse.  So like in July, our last option is the Rocephin shot.  She goes back today and Friday for the final two.  The pediatrician this time advised that they would put in a referral to an ENT for us because she’s had such a bad record.  Her appointment is next Thursday the 15th.  We will have a consultation about her ears and if she’s a good candidate for tubes.  Of course I want her to feel better, but knowing she’ll have to have anesthesia is scary.  I know children go through it all the time, even younger than she is…but it doesn’t make it any less nerve-wracking. 

Now the second part of this post is in relation to a spot on her scalp that’s been there since birth.  It hasn’t really grown or changed, but there’s a possibility it will change and could become cancerous as she nears puberty.  When she was about 2mos old my mom and I took her to Grady to see a dermatologist, they identified it as nevus sebaceous – it’s a congenital skin lesion..basically the skin didn’t fully form across that part of her scalp and is often considered pre-malignant.  The dermatologist told me our next step would be a plastic surgeon.  

Took me FOREVER to find one who worked on children believe it or not..but when I finally did find one he brought me some relief.  He agreed he would certainly remove it before puberty but if/when she needed another surgery and would need anesthesia (tubes, tonsil removal..).  We're going to Northeast Georgia Otolaryngology in Gainesville - seeing Dr. Garlich.  I noticed on their website that Dr. Garlich actually does facial plastic surgery so I'm crossing my fingers he can help us with the spot on her head as well.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment